We at the Board Office frequently get questions about what the rules are regarding Continuing Education requirements. All the information you need to know is available on the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website. Here are some helpful hints to keep your license current in Michigan:
CONTINUING EDUCATION RULES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR REAL ESTATE LICENSEE
- CURRENT CYCLE - The current licensing cycle began November 1, 2015 and ends October 31, 2018
- IMPORTANT CHANGES to Con Ed requirements are hyperlinked at the right under "Additional Info"
- REQUIREMENTS - Licensees are required to earn 18 total hours of CE during each three-year licensing cycle*
- Of those 18 hours, 6 hours need to be legal which are required to be taken in increments of 2 hours per year*
- CON ED vs. CODE OF ETHICS - Continuing Education (as required by the state) and Code of Ethics Training (as required by the National Association of REALTORS® are not the same thing! Sometimes Con Ed classes will include COE, but not always! Please check with the instructor or course sponsor to find out what is / is not included in a particular Con Ed class.
- CE HOUR – 50 minutes of instruction qualifies as ONE hour of CE. You do not have the ability to track CE in half hour increments
- TAKING THE SAME COURSE – You cannot earn credit for the same course within the licensing cycle, even if it is taken in a different calendar year. If the course falls within the same licensing cycle, it can only be taken once
- LICENSED INSTRUCTORS – If you are an instructor with a Michigan real estate license, you have the ability to earn CE for the course(s) you are teaching, but only one time per course in the licensing cycle
- *If you are a new licensee this total can change based on when your license was issued. Please refer to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) to know how many hours you are required to take for license renewal.
Need more information? Contact the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA): (517) 373-8068 or BPLHELP@michigan.gov